Saturday, December 9, 2017

Scared of the Flag

Sarah Silverman 'Felt Very Weird,' 'Scared,' 'Shaken' By Seeing American Flag Flown in Yard
Excerpt: We’re only one episode away from finishing the first season I Love You, America With Sarah Silverman, and the end can’t get here fast enough for me. Until then, we still must suffer through yet another idea Sarah Silverman deems meaningful or just politically advantageous. This week’s concept involves the frightening white nationalism of…flying the American flag. The December 7 episode revolves around the theme of nationalism and mostly about how creepy people who love America can be. Silverman literally opens her monologue recalling a time when she "felt very weird" and "scared" when her then-boyfriend was raising an American flag outside his house. If that’s a concern she has, it’s no wonder she works in the safe space of the entertainment industry. She can’t possibly survive in the real world. Silverman: I had a boyfriend many years ago, he was my first boyfriend who had his own house, and one day I went outside to see what he was doing, and he was hoisting an American flag up the flagpole in his front yard. And I instantly felt very weird. It didn’t make sense, but I felt this feeling of like, um, I felt scared – yeah, I felt scared. So I was like, ‘Uh, what are you doing?’ and he said, ‘Raising the flag,’ and I was like, ‘Why?’ and he’s like, ‘Um, because I love America?’ and I was like, ‘Right, right, of course.’ But inside I was shaken. (Why do I worry about the future? Here's one example....Del. What future? She wouldn't like my house. 4x6 US flag over the Marine Corps flag, 24/7. Lighted at night. ~Bob)

No comments:

Post a Comment